The benefits of physical activity for children
Some of the benefits of physical activity for children include:
- improved cardiovascular fitness (heart and lungs)
- maintenance of a healthy weight
- improved posture
- better sleep patterns
- increased self-esteem and confidence
- improved concentration
- help with relaxation
- building stronger bones and muscles
- improved balance
- skills development
- increased flexibility
- opportunities to make friends and enhance social skills.
Physical Activity Recommendations
For healthy growth and development in:
- Infants (Birth to one year)physical activity particularly through supervised interactive floor-based play in safe environments should be encouraged from birth. For those not yet mobile, 30 minutes of tummy time including reaching and grasping, pushing and pulling, and crawling spread throughout the day during awake periods is encouraged.
- Toddlers (1 to 2 years)should spend at least 180 minutes a day doing a variety of physical activities including energetic play such as running, jumping and twirling spread throughout the day- noting more is better.
- Pre-schoolers (3 to 5 years)should spend at least 180 minutes a day in a variety of physical activities, of which 60 minutes is energetic play such as running, jumping and kicking and throwing, spread throughout the day – noting more is better.
- For health benefits, children aged 5–17 years should accumulate at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity every day.
- Children’s physical activity should include a variety of aerobic activities, including some vigorous intensity activity.
- On at least three days per week, children should engage in activities that strengthen muscle and bone.
- To achieve additional health benefits, children should engage in more activity – up to several hours per day.
At Infinity Gymnastics & Dance located in Melbourne’s South East we strive to integrate all disciplines to perfect coordination, musicality, flexibility, strength, and stamina. We combine the grace and skills of classical ballet training, include various styles of dance, tap, lyrical jazz, modern, and contemporary.
Melbourne’s Premier Gymnastics & Dance Studio For All Ages
Infinity Gymnastics and Dance in Melbourne originally began as a platform for Rhythmic Gymnastics training from Glen Iris, and has since developed into an inter-disciplinary program offering a range of classes including training in ballet, hip hop, lyrical jazz, modern, contemporary, stretching & flexibility. It is our belief that children under the age of five should be exposed to a learning environment that fosters their love of dance.